THS Class of 1968 and friends
I wanted to let you know the results of our recent funding campaign for the THS Class of 1968 Awards program.
We had 59 donors contribute $5,731 with some donating twice. These were mostly in memory of Jim Spain. Thank you for your love and generosity! 100% goes to our awards program with no administrative fees.
There’s more! Jim Spain left a generous bequest in his will for the THS Class of 1968 Awards and his wife, Cathy, is working to pass the funds to the class in 2017 after the estate is settled. So Jim not only started this program, he set an even higher standard for continuing its existence.
To memorialize Jim, we have instituted a third award. The “CLASS OF 1968 JAMES A. SPAIN MEMORIAL AWARD” will be presented for the first time at this year’s THS Senior Night. Several classmates proposed this idea and it’s with great pleasure that I announce it’s a reality. I also want you to know that Cathy Spain has been actively involved in the new award and is pleased with our decision.
The criteria for Jim’s award include:
- Award of $1,500 will be made to a THS Senior who will be furthering her/his education by attending any two-year or four-year school, including technical school.
- Demonstrates leadership and initiative in school activities.
- Exhibits good citizenship through generous sharing in community-related activities.
- Exhibits strong academic achievement with a focus on STEM-related areas.
Students must apply and submit an essay. The award winners for this award and our two existing awards are selected by THS staff using our criteria for each award.
With Jim’s award, we also increased our other two awards from $1,000 to $1,500 each. So we now have a commitment for $4,500 per year. That is a significant contribution from the class and we should be proud of giving back to THS!
With your recent contributions, the fund now has approximately $17,000. Our goal is to fund raise again in fall 2017 and finally in 2018 for our 50th Reunion. After that, the awards will continue until the funds are fully spent over the next 13-16 years.
Our awards are presented at THS Senior Night which is May 24 this year. When in town, I get the lucky duty of doing that, but that’s not always possible due to my work travel. So, Sue (Sharpe) Wronowski has made these presentations several times and will be doing so again this year. Sue deserves a great big thanks for representing the class! She also told me this year has an added personal significance because her final kindergarten class since she retired is graduating from THS! We are seeking a volunteer to accompany Sue and video the event to post for the class to see. Please let me or Sue know if you’d be available to help!
My sincere thanks to David Youngs and Chris Miller for taking on the website and communications duties for the class. You saw the email from Jim last fall where he arranged this transition. Since then Dave and Chris have done so much for our class and continually provide guidance and support to me including the development of the new award. Without a doubt, a Jim Spain legacy has been to keep the communications open with our class.
Sorry for the long letter, but this catches things up for a while.
- Planning for our 50th Reunion next year begins this fall. Last reunion Chris Miller, Eileen (DerGurahian) Bureau and Dave Youngs were part of the organizing team. Let me know if you’d be willing to help out with the 50th. If you have suggestions for dates and activities, we’ll take those as well.
- We will continue to receive funds for our awards program. You can do this anytime. Checks can be made out to: THS Class of 1968 Awards. They can be sent to either:
David Biggs Treasurer
26F Congress St, #305 or City School District of Troy
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866 475 First Street
Troy, NY 12180
3. If you would be willing to include the awards program in your will and follow Jim’s lead, please let me know or contact the current District Treasurer, Sarah Conyers, at 518-328-5053.
Best wishes for the summer!