Last modified: November 30, 2012 (view archived versions)
- What information we collect and why we collect it.
- How we use that information.
- The choices we offer, including how to access and update information.
We've tried to keep it as simple as possible, but if you're not familiar with terms like cookies, IP addresses and browsers, then read about these key terms first.
Information We Collect
We collect information in two ways:
- Information you give us when creating a website, or when joining an existing website. When you do either of these, we'll ask for personal information, like your name, email address, telephone number and date of birth. We'll then create a Member Profile, which may include your name and photo. The part of your profile containing your email address, physical address, and phone numbers is not visible to anyone except the administrators of the website. The rest of the profile information you supply including birth date is only visible to other persons who are logged into the same website. The only exception to this is City of Residence, which may be seen by a non-logged in viewer in the Where We Live feature. You can override the sharing limitations, but the default settings are the most protective of your privacy.
Information we get from your use of our services (server logs). We may collect information about the services that you use and how you use them, like when you visit the website, and details of your activity on each page. This information includes:
- your hardware model, operating system version, and web browser version.
- the Internet protocol address from which you are connecting to the internet.
- event information such as browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and referral URL.
- cookies that may uniquely identify your browser and/or collect and store information necessary to provide the services you are using.
How we use information we collect
We use the information we collect from all of our services to provide, maintain, protect and improve them, to develop new ones, and to protect us and our users.
Information we share
We do not share personal information with companies, organizations and individuals unless one of the following circumstances apply:
- With your consent
We may share personal profile information via publicly accessible pages of your website when we have your consent to do so. We require opt-in consent for the sharing of any personal profile information.
- For external processing
For legal reasons
We may share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals if we have a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:
- meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.
- enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations.
- detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
- protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of us, our users or the public as required or permitted by law.
We may share aggregated, non-personally identifiable information publicly. For example, we may share information publicly to show trends about the general use of our services.
We work hard to protect our systems and our users from unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of information we hold. In particular:
- We encrypt credit card payment services using SSL.
- We review our information collection, storage and processing practices, including physical security measures, to guard against unauthorized access to systems.
- We restrict access to personal information to persons who need to know that information in order to process it for us in order to provide you the service we offer.
- You can elect to block the public and search engines from accessing information you add to your personal Profile page. All logged in fellow site members can see all information you add to your personal Profile page. In rare cases a site member may join under false pretenses and claim to be somebody they are not (i.e. an imposter). Class Creator provides Class Administrators tools to combat this such as a New Member Verification feature. Class Creator does not require the use of the Verification feature nor can we assure proper use of the Verification feature when it is enabled. Therefore in rare cases a member can pose as somebody they are not. If you use this site you acknowledge the possibility of somebody joining the site under an assumed or false identity. Because of this infrequent but real possibility you should not post personal information or photos on your Profile page you do not want non members to see even if you have blocked search engines and the public from accessing your Profile information.
Questions Regarding Privacy
For more information about Privacy and Security issues please read Questions About Passwords and Privacy in our FAQ section.
2500 Packard St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48104