In Memory

Larry Kitt

Larry Kitt

go to bottom 
  Post Comment

08/14/12 12:51 AM #1    


Oct 22, 1988 Richmond, VA

Wife: Francine Ann Katz Kitt
Children: Michelle Amy Kitt
Sheila Diane Kitt

12/15/12 02:57 PM #2    

Gary Ader

The guest book from Larry Kitt's funeral in 1988 is a testament to the impact he had on those around him. Hundreds of people-family, friends, colleagues and students from the inner-city high school where he was a guidance counselor, even the city mayor-crowded into the standing-room-only service to say goodbye. After high school Larry graduated from Plattsburgh State University of New York and in 1970 moved to Richmond, VA with his wife Francine where he taught math at Graves Middle School. He received a master's degree in education from the University of Virginia ion 1973 and in 1974 moved to John Marshall High School as a counselor. His daughter Michelle was born that year and his daughter Sheila followed in 1981. Larry was known for his sense of humor, an extensive memory for crude jokes, and a rather obsessive love for the St. Louis Cardinals. His students said he "told you what you could do, not what you couldn't" and "was always fun to be around". (He hosted a daily "Lunch Bunch" in his office:he taught students chess and they made fun of his clothes). He loved all things math - from computers to baseball stats to the stock market and welcomed tax season as a chance to practice his new calligraphy hobby on his W2s.  If only he's survived to see the inbtenet-oy! His family remembers the songs he'd sing while playing an out of tune piano or his old bass guitar and how active he was in their synogogue and as head timer at swim meets. Each of his daughters carries unique aspects of his personality. Michelle enjoys writing, technology, trivia and cycling- an activity Larry got into in his 30s and sometimes shared with Michelle. Sheila teaches math and swimming, has a master's degree in education with a guidance counseling focus, and loves to sing.

Written by Michelle Kitt, December, 2012


Larry and I were close through college. The stories I could tell would fill volumes. I attended his wedding with my girlfriend Judy. When Judy and I got married Larry and Fran were at our wedding. When Larry and Fran moved to Richmond we kept in touch by sending tapes to each other, each of us receiving about one a month. We did that for over sixteen years. Phone calls were expensive back then and our tapes would run about an hour each. Our families got together in Richmond in December of 1987, just ten months before Larry died. We kept in touch till the end.

Gary Ader

go to top 
  Post Comment