In Memory

John Seay - Class Of 1962

Class of 1962

John died in a hotel fire in Bangkok, Thailand in 1967. He was a manager for AAFES.

go to bottom 
  Post Comment

04/20/09 01:27 PM #1    

Ernie Jenkinson (1962)

I believe that John was class president during our Freshmen year. John and I once drove our motorbikes to Orleans (about 60 miles) and stayed overnight at a base there before returning home. I understand that he died in a hotel fire quite some time ago. Ernie Jenkinson

08/25/09 10:42 AM #2    

Phil Davidson (1960)

Birth: Oct. 22, 1943
Death: Apr. 20, 1971
Bangkok (Krung Thep), Thailand

Son of Cary Blanche Conker and George Francis Seay

A Greensboro serviceman and his family are among 13 Americans killed in a hotel fire early Tuesday in Bangkok, Thailand. U.S. Embassy officials said the four in the Greensboro family were: Staff Sgt. John F. Seay, his wife, Mary, a son and daughter, John Seay and Cary Seay. The son was five years old, the daughter five months. An embassy spokesman said the Seays were trapped in their room in the Imperial Hotel and suffocated. The Ft. Bragg public information office identified Seay's parents as George F. Seay of 914 Spring Garden St., and Mrs. Cary Blanch Gauthier of 3108 Peeble Drive, both of Greensboro. S. Sgt Seay also is survived by two sisters Miss Nichole Seay of 3108 Peebles Drive and Mrs. Bonnie Berard of 914 Spring Garden St. Officials report 24 persons killed as a result of the explosion and fire, which burned one wing of the downtown hotel.

Family links:
John Steward Seay (1967 - 1971)*
Cary Mckenna Seay (1970 - 1971)*

Mary Steward Brewster Seay (1943 - 1971)

*Point here for explanation


Created by: Mark Stanley
Record added: Jun 25, 2009
Find A Grave Memorial# 38754415

01/15/10 06:12 AM #3    

Edward Evans (1962)

John and I remained the best of friends after 1961, when I returned to the States. We followed each other into the army, both attending the military intelligence school, then located at Fort Holabird, Baltimore, Maryland. From there we were doing our military duties in different parts of the world. I left the army in 1968 and John was committed to a few more years. Our plans then were to get together after he left the army and engage in a joint business enterprise in Paris (start a chain of fast food restaurants, unknown at that time in Europe). I was contacted in 1971 by John's sister to tell me of the death of not only John, but of his entire family in a hotel fire in Bangkok. I never met his family, but did speak briefly to his lovely Scottish ex-nurse wife, Mary. I attended his funeral along with the remaining Seay family and friends in Richmond, Virginia. The name of the cemetery has long since been forgotten, but his memory lives vividly in in my mind (and I'm sure in the minds of many others who knew him). I was absolutely devastated at his untimely death and the business plans, obviously, never came to fruition. I considered this untimely passing to be one of the greatest low points of my life and never really got completely over it.

go to top 
  Post Comment